Monday, February 15, 2016

"Total Freedom" can be Bondage

I think freedom means the ability to act. The whole point of the plan of salvation is for us to be free. Lately, Tiah and I have talked a lot about fitness, and on of my favorite ways to describe the value of fitness is "fit is free." Before I started getting fit, I was greatly inhibited in my ability to act as I pleased. My body could not perform the functions I wanted it to. Ironically, this was a result if my "free" diet. Being free to eat and do anything I felt like actually brought me into physical bondage. I always think back to a time before we started to change when I was playing in the area turkey bowl. I remember being so out of shape that I couldn't do what I wanted to do. I could see where a play was headed and know in my mind what needed to be done, but my body lacked the physical capacity to execute. Because I chose to live free of dietary rules, I lost my freedom. 

So many people respond to healthy eating, diet and an active lifestyle with the attitude that it is too hard and too restrictive. The don't like the idea of having to monitor what they eat. It feels like it takes away their freedom. In my experience, the greatest bondage we can bring upon ourselves comes from abusing "freedom" and refusing restraint.

To me, this is exactly what the plan of salvation is all about. Heavenly Father wants us to be as free as He is. This does not mean that we rise above the law, but that we obey the laws that govern freedom perfectly. We become perfect in restraint and it sets us free. Today's modern society hates the idea that God has rules and expectations. They see God, if He exists at all, as an indulgent, lasse fair type of parent who will support them in any wickedness they choose to uphold. They do not seem to understand that a parent who demands nothing of his children is not loving, but powerless, blind, and a failure. Why? Because he cannot see that the greatest good of the child is to make a choice and have the ability to act on it. 

I should respond to commandments the way I am learning to respond to new fitness information. I am excited when I learn something new about how my body works because I can then begin to obey that law and receive more freedom. Rules increase the level of freedom I am able to enjoy. 
I believe that the whole plan of God was for us to become as free as He is. Immortality and eternal life means eternal freedom. That's his whole work and glory. To set His children free forever.

Just as physical freedom requires the strengthening and maintaining of my body, eternal freedom requires the strengthening and maintaining of my soul. 

Teaching moment- have a child do a difficult exercise (like running, playing or doing push-ups) while carrying or pulling a very heavy weight. Explain to them that the laws of God are meant to set us free and that The Lord has identified those behaviors which will take away our ability to act freely through commandments. After sufficient time, have them repeat the activity without the weight and note the difference in ability to move freely. Point out that when The Lord invites us to eliminate certain behaviors in our lives, He is doing so in order bring freedom.

Possible ideas to teach: repentance, obedience, faith, commandments, law, love, parenting, LDS, Mormon, religion, freedom, agency, liberty, self-discipline, change.

Possible references: 
2 Nephi 2:16
2 Nephi 2:25-27
D&C 93:33-34

No comments:

Post a Comment